This portion of the ARCC site is intended as an area for researchers and students to discuss research computing. Please post and help moderate content.
UW Research computing environment
The ARCC maintains a general purpose, high performance computer cluster for research computing (named Mt. Moran, mtmoran.uwyo.edu). All UW researchers can have an account on the computer and requests for accounts can be completed online. This is a general purpose computing resource for all researchers at UW. Faculty are encouraged to seek funding to add capacity to this machine, but this is not a prerequisite for its use. The research office provides annual funding to add capacity and replace any outdated hardware.
The ARCC also maintains storage hardware for researchers. This includes a system called Bighorn and various tools for facilitating storage and transfers of data.
- Research computing on Mt. Moran cluster
- Storage solutions for research computing
- How to extend current hardware through purchases of compute nodes or storage hardware
- An explanation of UW networking topology with respect to research computing
Mt. Moran Usage
- Logging in and file transfers
- Compiling and linking code
- Scientific computing libraries (Intel MKL, OpenBLAS, GSL, etc.)
- How to get help on the system